This module surfaces the complexity of sharing the moral burden of decision making with patients and parents in the palliative care setting, and offers a tool that can assist in this process. This module typically takes between 45 minutes and an hour to complete.
A more detailed module structure can be found in the SCD Facilitator’s Guide.
- Become familiar with the decision-making tool and identify potential areas for application.
- Learn how to more effectively navigate making decisions involving morally-sensitive issues
THE DECISION-MAKING COMMUNICATION TOOL
Presentation by Dr. Ross Hays
DEBRIEF PLENARY: ETHICAL FRAMEWORK FOR DECISION MAKING
- What new insights did you gain about ethical decision-making?
- How might you apply the decision-making tool to your clinical practice?
- What new insights did you gain regarding responding to ethical conflicts?
- What lingering questions do you have?
APPLICATION TO SELF AND HOME INSTITUTION
- Regarding what we have discussed during this group, what change would you like to see/make at your home institution?