Explore the fascinating interdisciplinary world of bioethics in an interactive, intensive weeklong summer institute. Leading bioethics faculty cover both theory and practical application for fields including public health, the life sciences, medicine, nursing, and law.
WHO CAN ATTEND
Prior coursework or experience in bioethics is not required. For more information about the Summer Institute in Bioethics, please contact Penny White, Sr. Academic Program Coordinator.
2019 SUMMER COURSES
- June 3-7
9 a.m.-12:20 p.m.
Basics of Bioethics (2 credits)
An introduction to the foundational approaches to bioethics and discussion of their application from both a historical and contemporary perspective.
- June 3-7
Introduction to Ethics of U.S. and International Human Subject Research (2 credits)
An introduction to the ethics of human subject research allowing participants to apply what they learn to case examples from the U.S. and international settings.
- June 10-14
8:30 a.m.-5:20 p.m.
Conceptual and Evidential Foundations of Health Equity and Social Justice (4 credits)
Explores the conceptual bases of health equity and the underlying social justice, human rights, and disparity models for defining health equity.
REGISTER NOW (JHSPH Students and JHU Employees)
- Complete the Summer Institute application.
- Log into SIS using your JHED ID, select the public health student record from the drop down menu (top right corner), and register for your course.
- Review eligibility requirements.
- Download and complete the JHU Tuition Remission form. You will need one form for each course you take.
- Submit the form to the JHSPH Student Accounts office, 615 N. Wolfe Street, Suite W1101, or email it to JHSPH.email@example.com.
REGISTER NOW (Non-degree Students)
To register for an Institute course as a non-degree student, please visit the Continuing Education Student Services page.
As a student earning credit, a visa must be obtained. Visa processes and information are listed here.
Where should you stay during your visit? Available options are listed here.
Please note: Bioethics Summer Institutes are held at the Johns Hopkins Berman Institute of Bioethics in Deering Hall, which is located at 1809 Ashland Ave., Baltimore, MD 21205.