The Berman Institute has joined the University’s divisions as a reporting entity for disclosures of professional commitment and conflicts of interest, requiring disclosures of these activities during the annual processes as well as throughout the year.  Because Berman Institute faculty have tenure line appointments in many different divisions, the Berman Institute processes for disclosure will be slightly different than in other units, as follows:

Faculty who have tenure line appointments in other divisions should continue to submit disclosures through those divisions. The new requirement is for faculty to alert BI by email as soon as new disclosures are submitted.  The email should be sent to Julia Chill ([email protected]) and the subject line should include “COI,” your last name, “initial” for the initial disclosure, and the eDisclose number (“COI, Smith, initial, 123456”).   Emails also should be sent when you receive an outcome or management plan (“COI, Smith, outcome, 123456”).

The BI Director and Director of Finance & Administration will review new disclosures and comments will be shared with your divisional COI staff.

Faculty and fellows who have appointments solely in BI should submit all disclosures through the BI as described below.  Disclosures will be reviewed for completeness and compliance with notifications by email to check your eDisclose account for the outcome.  The outcome will list the conditions or management plan associated with the review and any required changes to your relationship with the entity.  Faculty may accept or appeal the outcome.

When You Need to Disclose

  • Prior to undertaking an outside commitment
  • Prior to submission of an application for PHS support on which you are an investigator
  • Within 30 days of acquiring or discovering a financial interest related to your institutional responsibilities
  • Whenever a disclosed interest or activity changes (e.g., amount or type of remuneration, type of service, time commitment) or ends
  • During the Annual Certification period (to ensure that disclosures are accurate and up-to-date)

What Activity to Report

Conflict of Interest Reporting

Outside Activities

If you have received or are anticipating receiving remuneration, the following outside activities must be disclosed when they are provided to a for-profit or not-for-profit entity and are related to your Johns Hopkins institutional responsibilities, unless 1) they are provided to a United States federal, state, or local government agency, teaching hospital, medical center, U.S. institution of higher education, or related research institute and 2) involve scientific advisory board, committee, or review panel or speaking/teaching/lecturing:

  • Consulting
  • Scientific advisory board, committee, or review panel service
  • Speaking, teaching, and lecturing
  • Board of Directors service
  • Officer
  • Manager
  • Publishing
  • Editing
  • Authoring
Financial Interests

The following financial interests in any entity, whether for-profit or not-for-profit, must be disclosed, provided they are related to your Johns Hopkins institutional responsibilities:

  • Inventor of licensed technology
  • Entitlement to equity and/or royalty
  • Receipt of income from licenses, whether equity, royalty, or other
  • Equity ownership, regardless of how the equity is acquired (not including mutual funds)

The financial interests of one’s spouse, domestic partner and/or minor dependents also must be disclosed if they are related to your Johns Hopkins institutional responsibilities.

Reimbursed or Sponsored Travel

Due to federal government requirements, BI personnel who are investigators on PHS-funded research must disclose occurrences of reimbursed or sponsored travel that are related to their Johns Hopkins institutional responsibilities when the amount of reimbursed or sponsored travel during the 12 months preceding the disclosure reaches or exceeds $5,000 in the aggregate for a particular entity.  (Note:  This aggregate value includes travel for spouses, domestic partners and dependent children unless the travel occurs in the course of their employment by the entity.)  This does not include travel that is reimbursed or sponsored by a U.S. federal, state, or local government agency, teaching hospital, medical center, U.S. institution of higher education, or related research institute.  Exceptions also include travel reimbursements to Johns Hopkins, travel payments made by Johns Hopkins, or travel charged to a Johns Hopkins account.

Information to Provide
  • The name of the entity for which you provide a service or in which you have a financial interest
  • A description of the nature of the service or interest
  • The form and amount of remuneration
  • Details regarding the time commitment involved, if any
  • Information regarding related research
  • Information regarding related purchasing responsibility

Guidance and Links

When you are ready to enter a new disclosure, go to eDisclose. eDisclose is the University’s online disclosure system.  Guidance regarding how to use the system can be found under JHU eDisclose Help, and includes the following resources:

  • Getting Started
  • Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
  • How to Submit a New Disclosure User Guide
  • How to Respond to Reviewer Notes User Guide

Other helpful resources include:

Disclosure Basics
Federal Regulations on Conflict of Interest
Overview of University Policies, including:

  • Disclosure and Professional Commitment
  • Conflict of Interest in Research

Any questions should be directed to Julia Chill and Jenny Garcia-Abreu, who are available to provide assistance.