- Assistant Professor
Stephanie Morain, PhD, is a core faculty member at the Berman Institute of Bioethics, and an assistant professor in the Department of Health Policy and Management at the Bloomberg School of Public Health. She conducts both empirical and normative research into issues at the intersection of ethics, law, and health policy. Dr. Morain’s work examines political and ethical issues concerning the scope of government authority in public health and the role of stakeholder opinion in shaping decision-making in public health policy. Specific research interests include the ethics and politics of disease control and injury prevention; public health law; and ethical and policy challenges presented by the transition to learning health care systems. She was most recently an assistant professor in the Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy at Baylor College of Medicine.
A former Hecht-Levi Postdoctoral Fellow at the Berman Institute, Dr. Morain received her BA from Lafayette College with a dual major in Biology and History, Government, & Law, her MPH from Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health, and her PhD from Harvard University’s Interfaculty Initiative in Health Policy.
- Ethics and politics of public health policy
- Ethical and policy challenges presented by the transition to learning health care systems
- Public and stakeholder attitudes towards health policies
- Research ethics
- Ph.D., Harvard University
- MPH, Columbia University
- A.B., Lafayette College
- Morain SR, Winickoff JP, Mello MM,. “Have Tobacco 21 Laws Come of Age?.” N Engl J Med. 2016 March 23 Pubmed PMID: 27007697
- Morain SR, Wootton SH, Eppes C.. “A Devastating Delay – Zika and the Implementation Gap..” N Engl J Med.. 2017 October 19;377(16):1505-1507. Pubmed PMID: 29045206
- Morain SR, Crifasi CK. “Time to Pull the Trigger? Examining the Ethical Permissibility of Minimum Age Restrictions for Gun Ownership and Use. Preventative Medicine..” Prev Med.. 2019(118):205-209. Pubmed PMID: 30412741
- Morain SR, Schoen L, Marty M, Schwartz EB. “Parental Leave, Lactation, and Childcare Policies at Top US Schools of Public Health.” 2019 March 21 Pubmed PMID: 30896996